The defences of this fortlet were discovered from the air by J.K. St. Joseph in 1960. The fortlet was almost square in outline, measuring 77 x 65 feet (c.24.3 x 19.8 m) and covered an area of only 5,000 ft² or 19 roods (c.481m²). The fortlet is only one of a series set along the same stretch of military road and exemplified by others at Milton and at Redshaw Burn.
References for Wandel
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
- Britannia ii (1971) p.249; Britannia v (1974) p.152 table.V;
- Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R.
- Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.34.