Warcop Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

This small camp with well-rounded corners lies close beside the northern verge of the main Roman road between Eburacum (York) and Luguvalium (Carlisle), about 3½ miles (5.5 km) NW of the fort at Verteris (Brough). There are gateways placed centrally in the shorter NW & SE sides, though another gap placed centrally in the NE side may not be a gate. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)

References for Warcop Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
  • Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);

Map References for Warcop Camp

NGRef: NY7416 OSMap: LR91

OS National Grid Reference: NY740167
Dimensions: 164 x 197 ft (50 x 60 m)
Area: ¾ acre (0.3 ha)

Roman Roads near Warcop Camp

None identified