Waverton Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

Discovered from the air on 23rd June 1994, this camp lies in fields just W of Waverton, about ½mile SE of the site of the Battle of Rowton Moor, fought during the English Civil War in 1645. The entire SW side of this camp is recorded, together with a short length of the SE side and the entire NW side with traces of the N corner-angle. Given the three angles, the original dimensions of the camp may be estimated. There is a gateway set centrally in the SW side which bears traces of an internal clavicula.

References for Waverton Camp

  • New Evidence from Aerial Reconnaissance for Roman Military Sites in Cheshire by Robert A Philpott in Britannia xxix (1998) pp.341-353

Map References for Waverton Camp

NGRef: SJ4664 OSMap: LR117

OS National Grid Reference: SJ451639
Dimensions: c.426 x 246 ft (c.130 x 75 m)
Area: c.2½ acres (c.0.97 ha)

Roman Roads near Waverton Camp

None identified