Westmuir

Watch-tower

This watch-tower was seen on aerial photographs taken by Prof. J.K. St. Joseph in 1960-62, as a circular crop-mark in fields on the farm of Westmuir. The site, along with others spaced almost uniformly along the Roman military road into the north-east formed an early Roman frontier along the Gask Ridge in Tayside.

References for Westmuir

Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949); Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.???.Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949); Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.???. Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949); Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.???.Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949); Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.???.

Map References for Westmuir

NGRef: NO0220 OSMap: LR52/53/58

Roman Roads near Westmuir

WSW (0.5) to Thorny Hill (Tayside) WSW (0.5) to Moss Side (Tayside) ENE (2) to Peel (Tayside)