Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 52 - Wall Bowers
Milecastle 52 (Bankshead) was a – Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall. The mile fort, which is no longer visible above ground, is located west of Fort Birdoswald, in the garden of the bank headhouse and was examined in 1934. Multi-phase system, it belonged to the long axis type III and replaced a previous wood-peat building, its dimensions were 27.5 m (east-west) ? 23.4 m (north-south). The neighboring MK 53 is 1.520 km away. In 1808, two consecration altars for a local deity, Cocidius, were discovered there. One of the altars was commissioned by Legio XX soldiers between 262 and 266. In 1862 a fragment of an inscription with Hadrian’s name was found.