Top Online Resources
Here are a list of links to websites on Roman material.
- Archaeological and Historical Data Service The finest archaeological resource on the entire planet.
- BBC History History from the British Broadcasting Corporation.
- British Archaeological Jobs and Resources If you would like to volunteer for an archaeological dig in the UK BAJR is where you go.
- British History Online The finest historical resource on the face of the Earth.
- The British Library An excellent place! – The RBO website is archived here.
- Cadw “Cadw is the historic environment service of the Welsh Assembly Government.” Not an acronym, the Welsh word for ‘preservation’ – equivalent to RCHME and RCAHMS.
- Council for British Archaeology Registered charity funding archaeological research throughout Britain.
- British Archaeology News Latest news on British Archaeology.
- English Heritage & RCHME Organisation dedicated to the conservation of the Historical Monuments of England.
- Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland Could be called “Scottish Heritage” but in Scotland they call a spade a spade.
- The mapping system favoured by the slaves in the RBO Scriptorium.
- Coflein “Coflein is the online database for the National Monument Record of Wales (NMRW” Again, not an acronym but a compound Welsh word, from cof ‘memory’ and lein ‘line’.
- Bench Mark Database For a geeky dweeb like me, this is a brill site to explore in conjunction with an OS Landranger Map.
- The British Academy A bit too stuffy but still a great resource.
- Notre Dame University – Latin Grammar Excellent online Latin dictionary and grammar from Indiana, U.S.A.
- www.old-maps.co.uk Used to offer superlative mapping – now mainly concerned with making a profit.
- www.opsi.gov.uk/acts Every Government Act passed in the UK – Main Failing? Tedium!
- Potsherd “Pottery and ceramics in archaeology, principally of the Roman period (1st cent. BC – 5th cent. AD) in Britain and western Europe.”
- Roman Era Names – covers what is says.
- Antiquity “A quarterly review of World Archaeology, edited by Martin Carver”
- Athena Review “Journal of Archaeology, History, and Exploration “
- Current Archaeology “… by far the biggest magazine devoted to British archaeology.”
- Internet Archaeology “Internet Archaeology is the first fully refereed e-journal for archaeology and publishes articles of a high academic standing which utilise the potential of electronic publication.”
Blogs & forum
- Past Times and Present Tensions
- Roman Army Talk
Websites With a Roman/historical Flavour
- www.KnowTheRomans.co.uk A decent website for kids to get acquainted with the Romans.
- The Cloud Appreciation Society “Clouds are so commonplace that their beauty is often overlooked. They are for dreamers and their contemplation benefits the soul.” The CAS Manifesto
- www.phrases.org.uk “The meanings and origins of over 1,200 English sayings, phrases and idioms.”
- www.stars21.com Latin to English Translator For those, like myself, who would be required to cheat in order to pass a Latin exam.
- translate.google.com I like the Google interface – no adverts, no clutter, does the job.
- WordSmith.org Advanced Anagramming
- www.LatinPhraseTranslation.com Latin Phrase Translation – Latin To English Translation
Regional Online Resouces
- Archaeology South-East “Archaeology South-East is the contracts division of the Centre for Applied Archaeology of the Institute of Archaeology, University College London.”
County Archaeological Services
- West Berkshire Council Archaeology Service
- Birmingham City Council Archaeology
- Buckinghamshire County Council Archaeology
- Cheshire Archaeology Planning Advisory Service
- Cheshire West and Chester Council – Historic Environment Service
- Historic Cleveland
- Cornwall and Scilly Historic Environment Record
- Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society
- Cumbria Historic Environment Service
- Derbyshire County Council Archaeology
- Devon County Council Archaeology
- Dorset County Council Archaeology
- Durham County Council Archaeology
- Hampshire County Council – Hampshire’s Historic Environment
- Herefordshire Council – Archaeological Sites and Monuments
- Hertfordshire Libraries and Leisure – Archaeology
- The History of Huntingdonshire
- Humberside Archaeology Partnership
- Lancashire County Council – Archaeology
- Leicestershire County Council – Archaeology
- Lincolnshire County Council – Archaeology
- London Archaeologist
- Museum of London Archaeology
- City of London Archaeological Society (COLAS)
- University College London – Institute of Archaeology
- London and Middlesex Archaeological Society
- City of London Archaeological Trust
- Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit
- Middlesex – [see Greater London]
- Northumberland Archaeology
- Nottinghamshire County Council – Archaeology
- Oxfordshire County Archaeology
- Oxfordshire Heritage Search
- Rutland – [see Leicestershire]
- Somerset Heritage Service
- South Staffordshire Council – Conservation Office
- East Sussex County Council – Archaeology
- Westmorland – [see Cumbria]
- Wiltshire County Archaeology Service
- Yorkshire (East) – [see Humberside]
- South Yorkshire Archaeology Service
- West Yorkshire Archaeology Service
- The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust
- Dyfed Archaeological Trust
- The Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust
- Gwynedd Archaeological Trust
- Fife Archaeology Service
- East Lothian Archaeological Service
- Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust
- West of Scotland Archaeological Service
- Isle of Wight Archaeology and Historic Environment Service
- Jersey Heritage Trust
- Shetland Amenity Trust
- Western Isles Archaeological Service
- Manx National Heritage Agency
- The Scilly Isles – [see Cornwall]
Other Romano-British Links
- The Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies
- The Association for Roman Archaeology
- The Roman Research Trust
- The Association for the Study and Preservation of Roman Mosaics
- The Hadrianic Society
- Roman Finds Group
- Classis Britannica
- Legio Secunda Augusta
- Ermine Street Guard
- Roman Military Research Society
- Cohors V Gallorum
- Gaius Fortunatus Roman soldier serving with the Sixth Legion in Roman York
Staffordshire Archaeological Groups/Societies
- Staffordshire Industrial Archaeology Society
- Staffordshire History Organisation
- Staffordshire Heritage Group
- Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society
- Staffordshire Past Track
Archaeological Legislation in the UK
- Planning Policy Guideline 16 : Archaeology and Planning
- Planning Policy Statement 5 : Planning for the Historic Environment
- Treasure Act 1996 Code of Practice (Revised) England and Wales
- National Heritage Act 2002