Nowtler Hill 1 Temporary Camp (Grinsdale)
Marching or Temporary Camps
One of two camps were first identified by Daniel Lysons in 1800, and are visible nowadays only as crop-marks in fields to the south-west of Grinsdale, near Kockupworth. Lysons reported that all four gateways of both camps were protected by external tituli, most of which are still visible in modern AP’s.
This camp occupies the summit of Nowtler Hill, is aligned SW-NE and was probably built before Camp-2. It is trapezoidal in outline, with longer sides measuring and feet (78 & 73 metres), and its short sides both (64m). There are gateways placed centrally in all sides save the SW, those to NW and SE protected by external tituli while extra defences outside the NE gate are obscured by a modern road which crosses the site from SW-NE, separating the E corner-angle from the rest of the camp. The camp apparently faced NE.
The Grinsdale Camps comprise of four camps all lie about 2½ miles east of Burgh by Sands, roughly half-way to Carlisle. The Boomby Lane camps both have their minor-axes aligned with the Wall and very likely post-date the Hadrianic barrier, though the earliest of these camps may belong to the Agricolan period. The Nowtler Hill camps sited as they are, protectively overlooking the Wall and Vallum, are probably contemporary with them.
Map References for Nowtler Hill 1 Temporary Camp (Grinsdale)
References for Nowtler Hill 1 Temporary Camp (Grinsdale)
Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E.