Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 664 - Stanwix Bank
Milecastle 66 (Stanwix Bank) was a – Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall. The mile fort was south of the Stanwix fort, on the north bank of the Eden near Carlisle. Its area is now used as a cricket ground. The Romans had built a bridge over the Eden and the Caldew at this point. On the south bank there was another fort and the fortified city of Luguvalium. The remains of the bridge were discovered by William Camden in the 16th century. During dredging work in the river bed, almost one hundred of their stones were recovered in 1951. Most were deposited in Bitts Park and can be viewed there. The mile fort was inspected a little more closely by Thomas Pennant on his trip to Scotland in 1772. He describes the – Milecastle as “vestiges of some dikes describing a small square, the site of a fort to defend the pass”. There are no visible remains of the – Milecastle today.