Castledykes Marching Camp 1

Marching or Temporary Camps

Castledykes 1 (north-west) is a large temporary camp lies to north-west of the fort. The only discernable gateway lies on the east and is defended by external earthworks consisting of a clavicula and straight ditch, unmistakably of Stracathro type. The much-smaller Camp #3 lies wholly within this camp’s southern perimeter.

References for Castledykes Marching Camp 1

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.57;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.85;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.89;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.80;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1973-76 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxvii (1977) p.133;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.30 & plate.VIII;
  • Britannia xix (1988) p.429 & fig.10 p.430; Britannia xxi (1990) p.312;
  • Britannia xxiv (1993) p.281.

Map References for Castledykes Marching Camp 1

OS National Grid Reference: NS923446
Dimensions: 1,500 x 900+ ft (457 x 274+ m)
Area: >31 acres (>12.5 ha)

Roman Roads near Castledykes Marching Camp 1

NW (16) to Bothwellhaugh (Clydesdale)
ESE (18) to Lyne (Borders) via Bankhead
Probable Road: WSW (22) to Loudoun Hill (Clydesdale)