The postulated Irchester to Lactodurum (Towcester) road may have proceeded by a more direct route and crossed the main Bannaventa (Whilton Lodge) to Camulodunum (Colchester) road some three miles to the south-east.
It is possible that the communication with Irchester in the north-east was maintained primarily along the River Nene. It would have been much more cost-effective for the Romans to have maintained and improved the river navigation which was no-doubt already used for commerce when they arrived in this area, than to upgrade an already existant trackway or lay-out and construct a new road route.
A number of Roman potteries and isolated pottery kilns have been found ranged along the north-western side of the Nene Valley from Irchester to Duston, and it is possible that there was a trackway which connected them. There is a nearby pottery at Hardingstone (SP7657) and pottery kilns at Rushmere Road (SP7760) and Cherry Orchard (SP7862). For further discussion see the entry for Irchester.
There is a villa about four miles away along the Bannaventa road at Harpole (SP6962). Numerous substantial Roman buildings have also been found in the area at; Nether Heyford (SP6658), Harpole (SP6859), Harleston (SP6863), Gayton (SP7153), Wootton (SP7358), Stoke Bruerne (SP7550), Buttocks Booth (SP7864) and Piddington (SP7954).
References for Duston
Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001).