Garnhall Temporary Camp 1
Marching or Temporary Camps
Garnhall Camp 1 was discovered in the fields of Garnhall Farm on A.P.’s taken by J.K. St. Joseph in 1952. These photographs revealed about 750 ft. of the SE and some 200 ft of the NE sides of a rectangular enclosure. The north side and the north-west angle were located on A.P.’s by 1965, which enabled a reasonable estimate of its dimensions to be made for the first time. A length of the S ditch, 270 ft. (82 m) long, was excavated in 1993. It was up to 5½ ft. wide and 2½ ft. deep (1.7 by 0.78 m), and had been allowed to silt-up naturally.
References for Garnhall Camps
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.86;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-64 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.80;
- Britannia xxi (1990) p.312;
- Britannia xxiii (1992) pp.262-4 & fig.6;
- Britannia xxv (1994) pp.255/6 & fig.5;
- Britannia xxvi (1995) p.334;
- Britannia xxviii (1997) p.408.
Map References for Garnhall Camps
NGRef: NS7877 OSMap: LR64
Roman Roads near Garnhall Camps