Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 56 - Walton
Milecastle 56 (Walton) was a – Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall. The mile fort could not be located. There are no visible remains. The fort was northeast of a former restaurant, the Centurion Inn in Walton. Hadrian’s Wall runs there under the densely built-up town center. The mile fort was probably completely demolished over time. It was probably in a field called Bendle’s Croft. Today only a few beeches and a small hill can be seen at a bend in the road from Walton to King Water. Traces of the fortification were found in 1858 by Henry MacLauchlan southeast of the village church. Surveys of the local population about the remnants of the mile fort that still existed in 1900 remained inconclusive.