Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 60 - High Strand
Milecastle 60 (High Strand) was one of a series of – Milecastles or small fortlets built at intervals of approximately one Roman mile along Hadrian’s Wall. Not investigated, the position of the mile fort is uncertain and there are no visible remains. Henry MacLauchlan suspected it was near the village of Irthington, about 450 meters northeast of Bleatarn Farm, Hall High Strand, halfway to Oldwall, about 60 meters west of the end of a dirt road that runs along the moat. In 1851 an altar of Mars Cocidius came to light here while plowing. It was donated by soldiers of the Legio VI.