Innerpeffray East Temporary Camp (Parkneuk Cottage)
Marching or Temporary Camps
The two camps at Innerpeffray were recorded from the air by St Joseph in 1945, but may have been noted earlier by Horsley, who drew a large earthwork entitled ‘Innerpeffray camp’ with a smaller camp attached to its west side. These may well have represented the remains of the two camps now known as Innerpeffray East and West, and both now recorded through cropmarks.
The east camp is the larger of the two and irregular in form, measuring about 860m from east to west by about 710m (although is up to 910m in length in places and much narrower at the west end than the east); it enclosed almost 56ha (138 acres). Entrance gaps with tituli are visible in the centre of the east side and in the eastern part of the south side. Part of the northern rampart and ditch of the camp is visible as an upstanding earthwork in woodland. St Joseph excavated a section here in 1966 and recorded that the ditch was about 3.6m in width and nearly 1.2m in depth with a drainage channel in the bottom. The upstanding rampart was composed of clean, fresh upcast material (RCAHMS St Joseph Collection: Notebook 4).
References for Innerpeffray Camps
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.63;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.87;
- Roman Britain in 1956 in J.R.S. xlvii (1957) p.200;
Map References for Innerpeffray Camps
NGRef: NN9118 OSMap: LR58
Roman Roads near Innerpeffray Camps