Iron Age Hillfort
Old Oswestry Hillfort Iron Age Oswestry 126(SJ:296310) 1.6km N of Oswestry, W of A483. HBMCE. Signposted. – This impressive, 5.3ha fort had a long and complicated development. The first installation of round wooden huts was undefended. Subsequently there were at least 3 phases of defense, with banks and ditches being replaced or strengthened; there were also up to 7 ramparts. The later inhabitants had huts with thick stone walls. It is thought that occupation began in the 6th century BC, but was abandoned after the Roman conquest.
Old Oswestry, hill-fort (SJ/296310) 1 mile N of Oswestry (A483, A495, A4083). Finds in private hands (1959). – The long history of this hill-fort is reflected in its complicated defences. At first, 2 banks and ditches, roughly rectangular in plan, enclosed an area of 15 acres. There were 2 entrances, facing E and W. At both, the inner rampart was in-turned, a design which was not changed during the 3 ensuing periods of alteration. In stage 2 the ramparts were rebuilt and a third bank added on all except the SE side (where alone the hillside made it unnecessary).
Map References for Old Oswestry – Oswestry, Salop
NGRef: SJ296310 OSMap: LR126