Stretford Bridge Temporary Camp
Of the two temporary marching camps discovered near Stretford Bridge the first to be established was probably the smaller marching camp at Craven Arms to the south, followed by the larger camp which occupies the inferior ground, this situation also increases the likelihood of the camps being contemporary. It is thought likely that they both date from the initial campaigns of Scapula westwards into Wales, and were possibly built within only a few days of each other, sometime in either 47AD or 48. The fort at Stretford Bridge is located only 38 yards (350m) to the north-west of the larger northern camp and postdates both of these temporary enclosures. The marching camp at Upper Affcot lies only 1½ miles (2.5km) to the north-east.
Map References for Stretford Bridge Temporary Camp (Stretford Bridge 1)
References for Stretford Bridge Temporary Camp (Stretford Bridge 1)
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.125;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.85;
- Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E.;
Roman Roads near Craven Arms / Stretford Bridge