This regiment contained a nominal five-hundred foot soldiers who were originally recruited from among the Lingones tribe inhabiting the Adriatic coast of Northern Italy, the old province of Cisalpine Gaul. Alternately; they were a part-mounted unit numbering five-hundred men, levied from the Lingones tribe of Upper Germany, now the Dijon region of France. They are recorded in stone on two undated inscriptions recovered from Moresby on the Cumbrian Coast where they possibly formed the original Hadrianic garrison. They are also attested on stamped tiles and an undated altar at the Ilkley fort in Yorkshire, probably sometime during the second-century.
Evidence for the presence of Cohors Secundae Lingonum in Britain
- Cil Xiii.3606; Ager Nerviorum – Diploma, dated c.98AD.
- Burn 100; CIL XVI.65; military diploma dated July 17th 122AD.
- Cil Vii.1195; privilegia militvm, dated September 16th 124AD.
- L’Année Épigraphique 1997.1779b; diploma dated c.126AD.
- L’Année Épigraphique 1997.1001; diploma dated 27th February 158AD.
- Ilkley (RIB 635, altar).
- Moresby (RIB 798 altar; et 800).
- Drumburgh (Notitia Dignitatum).