Carronbridge Marching Camp
Fortlet and Marching or Temporary Camps
This camp is known from three remaining sides which each contain a gateway with titulus outwork. The Roman Temporary Camp, measures about 76m by 61m. Excavation showed the ditch to be 3m wide and 2m deep.
Adjoining this camp and overlapping it’s defences is another enclosure (see below), about one-third of it’s size.
The Suspected Fortlet or Small Fort
This rectangular enclosure has a substantial double-ditch system measuring 170 x 150 feet (52 x 46 m) across the inner defences with the ditches lying 35 feet apart (10.6m), the area enclosed being just over ½-acre (0.24 ha). The enclosure has acute corner angles, which is unusual for this type of installation, with a single entrance on the NE.
This earlier enclosure was originally thought to be a Roman fortlet (Clarke and Webster 1955: 31) but was later interpreted as a pre-Roman Iron Age enclosure with an internal palisade whose ditch was over half full when the camp was built (Johnston 1994: 285–6).
The Carronbridge marching camp lies only 50 feet (15.2m) away.
References for Carronbridge
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.59.
Map References for Carronbridge
NGRef: NX8697 OSMap: LR78
Roman Roads near Carronbridge