Fleet Marston

Minor Settlement

This suspected settlement lies in open fields and is evidenced by a large spread of surface finds including fragments of tiles and tegulae, building-stones and pottery ranging from the 2nd to 4th centuries. The finds extend over an area of almost 35 acres (c.14 ha). The O.S. records that in 1941 a quantity of Roman material was removed from the site by the landowner.

References for Fleet Marston

Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001); Roadside Settlements in Lowland Roman Britain by Roger Finch Smith (B.A.R. British Series #157, 1987) p.235.Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001); Roadside Settlements in Lowland Roman Britain by Roger Finch Smith (B.A.R. British Series #157, 1987) p.235. Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001); Roadside Settlements in Lowland Roman Britain by Roger Finch Smith (B.A.R. British Series #157, 1987) p.235.Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001); Roadside Settlements in Lowland Roman Britain by Roger Finch Smith (B.A.R. British Series #157, 1987) p.235.

Map References for Fleet Marston

NGRef: SP7715 OSMap: LR165

Roman Roads near Fleet Marston

WNW (13) to Alchester (Oxfordshire) ESE (11) to North Chvrch (Hertfordshire)