Galley Gill Temporary Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

Only the north-east and north-west sides of Galley Gill Temporary Camp are recorded, the south-east and south-west sides being restricted by the escarpment of the Galley Gill and the River Petteril respectively. There are simple gateways in both visible defences. Several (Roman?) post-holes and an 11th century storage pit for grain were found during excavations within the interior. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)

Map References for Galley Gill Temporary Camp

OS National Grid Reference: NY490389
Dimensions: c.330 x 525 ft c.100 x 160m)
Area: c.4 acres (1.6 ha)
Others Names: Old Penrith 2

References for Galley Gill Temporary Camp

  • Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65;
  • Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);

Roman Roads near Galley Gill Temporary Camp

None identified