Beacon Hill (Flamborough) Signal Station
North Sea Watch Towers
Site of Romano British Signal Station and Post Medieval Beacon, Beacon Hill. Site of Beacon Hill traditionally associated with location of Roman signal station of 4th-century date which is suspected to have existed on Flamborough Head, the most likely location being the summit of Beacon Hill. Roman pottery has been recovered at various times from the hill and about half a dozen large untrimmed boulders were recorded there. These stones have since been destroyed by quarrying, but may have been similar to those found at the Filey signal station.
The hill takes its name from the beacons which stood there from 1588, when 3 were recorded. They were repaired in 1755 and one beacon still stood in 1834, but by 1887 this had disappeared. The stones set around the base of the T-shaped beacon could still be traced in 1887.