There are good indications that the earthwork at Castle Flemish enclosed a Roman villa, or romanised farmstead, probably including a bathhouse, occupied from the late first century AD onwards. Legends of a golden table buried on the site have not been disproved.
The earthworks of this site form an irregular quadrilateral enclosing about 2 acres. It has been classified as a “lightly fortified farming settlement”, along the same lines as Cwmbrwyn in Carmarthenshire/Dyfed, perhaps also at Ford, which lies only 3¾ miles (c.5.7 km) to the west.
References for Castle Flemish
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.131;
Map References for Castle Flemish
NGRef: SN007267 OSMap: LR157/158
Roman Roads near Castle Flemish