Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 40 - Winshields

Hadrian's Wall Milecastle

Milecastle 40 which is called Winshields was a – Milecastle on Hadrian’s Wall. The mile fort is northwest of the Twice Brewed Inn, just below the summit of Winshields. Only mounds of wall rubble covered with grass, some up to a meter high, can be seen of it. The fortification, which had been badly damaged by treasure hunts and stone robberies, was excavated in 1908. Only the south wall was still ten rows high. Internally, it measured 16.76 m from east to west and 18.89 m from north to south. The fort belonged to long-ax type II. However, there were indications of several construction phases. There was probably a hearth on the east side. A detailed description of the first excavation and the finds recovered at the time was written by Frank Simpson.

In the distance you can see a long white building which is the Twice Brewed Inn 46724 in NY7566 on the Military Road (B6318).

Sites near Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 40 - Winshields