The Roman settlement at Saltersford lay to the west of Ermine Street, underlying the old Spittlegate Aerodrome, to the south-east of Grantham. The ancient trackway continued east towards the Metaris Aestuaium (The Wash) and in a south-westerly direction to join the Fosse Way just south of Vernemetum (Willoughby in Nottinghamshire).
In addition to the villa along the trackway at Denton, there was a villa along Ermine Street to the south at North Stoke (SK9328) and substantial Roman buildings at Great Ponton (SK9230). There were also iron-mines a little further south at Woolsthorpe (SK9224).
References for Saltersford
- Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001).
Map References for Saltersford
NGRef: SK9233 OSMap: LR130
Roman Roads near Saltersford
Sites near Salterford (Causennis?)
- Denton Villa (6 km)
- Sapperton Settlement (9 km)
- Ancaster Roman Fort (12 km)
Claudian Auxiliary Fort (AD 43–54)
- Ancaster Camp (12 km)
Marching or Temporary Camp
- Thistleton Settlement and Temple (16 km)
Minor Settlement and Temple Or Shrine
- Staunton In The Vale (17 km)
- Sleaford Roman Settlement (19 km)
- Bourne (22 km)
Pottery and Probable Settlement
- East Stoke (Ad Pontem) Roman Settlement (24 km)
Fortlet and Minor Settlement
- East Bridgford (Margidunum) Roman Settlement (24 km)