Catterick Bridge

Marching or Temporary Camps

This camp lies on the alluvial plain of the River Swale, on the S bank of the river just NE of Catterick racecourse, the ancient line of Dere Street passes by the camp some 350m to the W. Only the NE corner angle, a length of the N rampart and a longer section of the E defences have been recorded. There is a gateway with an external titulum located about mid-way along the shorter N side, but gaps in the E rampart cannot be readily identified as gates. It is quite possible that the N defences extended only a little more westwards, and a slight inward turn on the end of the S rampart may indicate the beginnings of the SE corner-angle. If this is the case then the camp would not have been very much larger than the existing defences indicate. (JRS 1953 p.90, 1956 p.82; RCHME.)
This is referred to as both Catterick Racecourse Temporary Camp and Catterick Bridge.

References for Catterick Bridge

  • Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E.;
  • Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1956) pp.82-91;
  • Air Reconnaissance of Southern Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xliii (1953) pp.81-97;

Map References for Catterick Bridge

NGRef: SE2399 OSMap: LR99

OS National Grid Reference: SE231991
Dimensions: 525+ x c.755 ft (160+ x c.230 m)
Area: 9 acres (3.6 ha)

Roman Roads near Catterick Bridge

None identified