Knowe Farm Camp

Marching or Temporary Camps

OS National Grid Reference: NY488393
Dimensions: 367 x 466 ft (112 x 142 m)
Area: 4 acres (1.6 ha)
Description: This rectangular camp lies some ½mile (850m) NNW of the Old Penrith fort, beyond the Galley Gill camp. It is aligned ESE-WSW and has 4 gateways protected by external tituli placed centrally in each side. (JRS 1951 p.54; RCHME.)

References for Knowe Farm Camp

Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65; Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995); Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65; Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995); Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65; Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995); Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) pp.52-65; Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (H.M.S.O, London, 1995);

Roman Roads near Knowe Farm Camp

None identified