First recorded by Christison in 1901 and investigated by Dr. D.J. Woolliscroft in 1991, this suspected fortlet on the Gask Ridge lies only 43 ft. (13 m) from the watch-tower of Thorny Hill, suggesting that the two were not contemporary. The ditch was 8¼ ft. wide and 4 ft. deep (2.5 x 1.2 m) with a V-profile. In layout and area this fortlet is comparable to the nearby stations at Glenbank and Kaims Castle. No significant finds have been recorded.
References for Midgate
Britannia xxii (1991) p.228.Britannia xxii (1991) p.228. Britannia xxii (1991) p.228.Britannia xxii (1991) p.228.
Map References for Midgate
NGRef: NO021205 OSMap: LR52/53/58
Roman Roads near Midgate