Possible Roman Camp
This small enclosure was first discovered on aerial photographs in the early 1950’s. A resistivity survey conducted in 1999 located clavicular defences at the north gateway, and trial-trenching at the same time across the east defences found a V-shaped ditch 12 ft. wide and almost 3¾ ft. deep (3.64 x 1.12 m). The ditch-fill contained carbonized material which was radiocarbon-dated to c. A.D. 585-700.
References for Lamberkine Camp
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1955) p.87;
- Britannia xxxi (2000) pp.379/80 & fig.4.
Map References for Lamberkine Camp
NGRef: NO0722 OSMap: LR52/53/58
OS National Grid Reference: NO074226
Dimensions: c.225 x 195 ft (c.70 x 60 m)
Area: >1 acre (c.0.41 ha)
Roman Roads near Lamberkine Camp