Cawthorn B Fort
Cawthorn B Roman fort is likely a late 1st and 2nd century AD annexe to the east side of Cawthorn Fort A (SE 79 SE 63). These earthworks, together with another fort and a camp, are collectively known as ‘Cawthorn Camps’. The defence of Annexe B comprise an outer ditch and a rampart, although they are slighter than those of Fort A. The gates in the north and south sides have internal and external claviculae. The interior of Fort A and Annexe B is crossed by an alleged medieval trackway, the ‘Portergate’ or ‘Rogergate’ (SE 78 NE 17).
References for Cawthorn
- Roman Camps in England – The Field Archaeology by the R.C.H.M.E. (pp.137-142);
- The Archaeology of Roman Britain by R.G. Collingwood (Methuen, London, 1930) pp.9-12;
Map References for Cawthorn
NGRef: SE7889 OSMap: LR94/100