Crawford Marching Camp A
Marching or Temporary Camps
Crawford Camp A was discovered on A.P.’s taken during the period 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph and subsequently reported by him in the Journal of Roman Studies, this camp is known from its southern corner-angle and attached, a 550 ft. length of the south-west side and almost 300 ft. of the south-east side.
‘A’, the larger camp, lies some 200m N of Bellfield farmhouse. Only its S corner, together with 134m and 174m of the SW and SE sides respectively, can be clearly seen on the air photographs. As the W corner and the rest of the SW side lie beneath the gardens and houses of Crawford, and only limited probing was possible elsewhere, the exact area enclosed by the camp must remain uncertain. However, if a linear crop mark, just discernible on air photographs ACD 94 and ACE 2, represents, as seems likely, part of the NE side, the axial dimensions cannot have been less than 295 m NE-SW by 205m, enclosing an area of at least 6 ha (14 acres).
There is a gate in the visible portion of the SW side.
References for Crawford Camps
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
- Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.40
Map References for Crawford Camps
NGRef: NS9520 OSMap: LR72
Roman Roads near Crawford Camps