Crawford Marching Camp B & C
Marching or Temporary Camps
Crop marks on air photographs reveal two temporary camps, partly underlying Crawford village; they occupy one of the few extensive areas of level ground in reasonable proximity to Crawford Roman fort (NS92SE 2) and the crossing of the River Clyde. Both are intersected by a railway embankment.
All that can be seen of camp ‘B’, which lies within ‘A’, is the S corner together with about 12m and 67m of the SW and SE sides. The NE side is probably buried by the railway embankment, as probing immediately E of it failed to locate a continuation of the camp’s SE side. Air photography by the RCAHMS in 1977 revealed a further 230m of the W side of this camp (not shown on plan) including a gate with a titulum, in the field lying between Crawford school and the railway line.
The small Crawford Camp C lies wholly within the northern corner-angle of Camp B.
Map References for Crawford Camp B
Map References for Crawford Camp C
References for Crawford Camps
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.122;
- Air Reconnaissance in Roman Britain 1977-1984 by G.S. Maxwell & D.R. Wilson in Britannia xviii (1987) p.40
Map References for Crawford Camps
NGRef: NS9520 OSMap: LR72
Roman Roads near Crawford Camps