The fort is located to the west of Peterborough on the south bank of the River Nene, 1,000 ft. from the river on a gravel terrace. Discovered by Crawford in 1930 and confirmed from the air in 1938, the fort measures 510 ft. from east to west by 460 ft. transversely (c.155 x 140 m), and covers an area of just over 5¼ acres (c.2.18 ha). There are three ditches fronting the rampart on the west, two on the south and east sides, and perhaps only one on the north, where indications are faint. There are centrally-placed gateways in the east and west sides, while that in the south is displaced a little to the east, making it likely that the fort was aligned in this direction. Air photographs also show the main east-west street through the centre of the fort and the outline of at least one rectangular timber building in the retentura or rearward portion, which is most likely a barrack-block (JRS 1953 pp.82/3).
It is described on the basis of an aerial photograph which shows the outline of a large Roman camp, outside which are traces of temporary camps ‘A’ and ‘B’. It would seem that ‘A’ and ‘B’ quite likely belong to the period circa 45-47 AD, while ‘C’ may be of the latter date, but it would have been abandoned during the 50s AD.
Sites near Water Newton (Durobrivae) Roman Fort
- Water Newton (Durobrivae) (1 km)
- Castor Praetorium (2 km)
Palace and Pottery
- Ailsworth (2 km)
Marching or Temporary Camp
- Elton Villa (3 km)
- Stibbington Potteries (4 km)
- Longthorpe Roman Vexillation Fort (4 km)
- Thornhaugh Villa (5 km)
- Orton Longueville (6 km)
- Cotterstock Villa (10 km)
- Ashton (11 km)