The potteries at Stibbington lie less than a mile north-east of the major Romano-British settlement at Durobrivae (Water Newton, Cambridgeshire).
Emergency excavation west of Church Lane revealed a small industrial complex, comprising two potters’ kilns, a workshop, a well and a large rubbish pit. Kiln W, which had been at least twice modified (Plate.xxxiv.b), produced Nene Valley motaria with reeded rims and a wide range of colour-coated vessels excepting beakers, probably in the period 325-360AD. Kiln G, some 18m (60ft) to the west. produced jars and dishes of several sizes in grey ware. The workshop lay 2.4m (8ft) west of Kiln G and measured 12.2 by 6.4 metres (40 x 21 ft); four small stone-lined tanks inside the south wall had held clay ready for use. The well lay outside the south-west corner of the building. The rubbish pit, c. 6.1 m (20ft) in diameter and 1.8m (6ft) deep, 4.6m (15ft) north of the workshop, contained debris and wasters from both kilns, which were thus broadly contemporary.
98 The site is 150m NW of kilns and workshops dug in 1820-28 (E.T. Artis, The Durobrivae of Antoninus, 1828), and a short way south of other kilns dug in 1957 (B.R. Hartley, Notes on the Roman Pottery Industry in the Nene Valley, 1960, p.9 & fn.). …
Map References for Stibbington Potteries
NGRef: TL0898 OSMap: LR142
Roman Roads near Stibbington Potteries