Hadrian's Wall - Milecastle 8 - West Denton
Milecastle 8 (West Denton) was a – Milecastle of the Roman Hadrian’s Wall. Its remains are located in what is now West Denton, Newcastle upon Tyne. The – Milecastle has two associated turret structures which are known as turret 8A and turret 8B. The turrets and – Milecastle were excavated in the 1920s, yielding some pottery and stone carvings, but have since been overlain by modern roads. The exact locations of the structures is disputed, with the road now hiding any surface traces. The – Milecastle now forms part of the Hadrian’s Wall World Heritage Site.
There is some dispute over the exact location, with one study in 1929 locating it 1,627 yards (1,488 m) east of – Milecastle 9, and historian Madeleine Hope Dodds stating in 1930 that it is 1,602 yards (1,465 m) from – Milecastle 9. The Ordnance Survey uses an average of these positions on its mapping. The site of – Milecastle 8 has been buried beneath the A69 dual carriageway.
The – Milecastle was excavated in 1928, when it was located on a natural hillock. Excavations uncovered pottery and other relics but no structural remains of the – Milecastle were uncovered. It is possible that the remains of the – Milecastle had been removed by stone-robbers.
Excavations near the site have uncovered two carved stone “Celtic heads”, possibly representative of local Celtic religions or imported from Europe with a unit of auxilia. The heads were discovered in 1969 and 1980.