Chichester (Noviomagus Reginorum)

British Capital and Port

Roman occupation of the Chichester site began with the construction of a military supply base, perhaps as early as the winter of 43/44AD, which was apparently abandoned by the military in 47, after which the site developed as a timber-built town possessing a large statue of Nero. The town was the centre of government of Cogidubnus the client king who probably lived in the nearby villa at Fishbourne. Inscriptions from the site include a first century dedication of a temple to Neptune and Minerva. During the late second century, the original timber buildings began to be replaced in stone, and earthen ramparts with stone gateways were erected enclosing a 100 acre (40Ha) polygon. In the early third century, the town walls were replaced in mortar and flint and bastions were added in the late fourth. The town declined after the Roman withdrawal from Britain in the early fifth century, but occupation has been continuous to this day.

In addition to those listed above, a military road led south to the Claudian bridgehead on Bracklesham Bay, while another led east to the iron mining district of the South Downs.

The Name Chichester

Any modern town which contains the place-name affix -chester (also -cester, -caster or -xeter) as part of its name, is generally a good indication that the place was originally the site of a Roman military encampment or fortified settlement. The affix is derived from the Saxon word ceastre, used by this folk to denote an already-existing – i.e. probably Roman – lowland fort or defended town. Also of note is the affix -burgh – also -borough, -brough, etc. – from the Saxon word burh, which more-likely indicated a former civil settlement rather than a military encampment.

References to Chichester

A.D. 895 … And as the army [of the Danes] returned homeward that had beset Exan-ceaster (Exeter), they went up plundering in Sud-Seaxum (Sussex) nigh Cisse-ceaster (Chichester) ; but the townsmen put them to flight, and slew many hundreds of them, and took some of their ships. …” (The Saxon Chronicle)

The name ‘Chichester’ was recorded for the first time in the Saxon Chronicle entry for 895AD (quoted in part above), which referred to the town as Cisseceaster. It later appeared in a shortened form in the Domesday Book of 1086, as Cicestre, from which we have directly derived the modern name. This Saxon place-name is thought to combine a Saxon personal-name with the common -ceastre affix, and is most likely translated as ‘the Roman camp [belonging to a man named] Cissa’, although the identity of this Saxon chieftain remains uncertain. There is a possible clue recorded earlier in the Saxon Chronicle:

A.D. 477 This year came Ella to Britain, with his three sons, Cymen, and Wlenking, and Cissa, in three ships ; landing at a place that is called Cymenes-osa.¹ …” (The Saxon Chronicle)

This same Saxon chieftain is also mentioned in a later entry:

A.D. 490 This year Ella and Cissa besieged the City of Andredes-ceaster,² and slew all that were therein ; nor was one Briton left there afterwards.” (The Saxon Chronicle)

  1. The location of the place named Cymenes-osa or ‘Cymens-shore’ is unknown.
  2. Likewise, the place named Andredes-ceaster, which, if the narrative is followed, appears to lie somewhere in Hertfordshire, has been uncertainly identified with the Roman ‘Saxon Shore Fort’ of Anderitum at Pevensey, another candidate being the hypothetical Romano-British port and settlement at Hastings, both sites in East Sussex.

The Epigraphy of Roman Chichester

Only nine inscribed Roman stones have been recovered from Chichester and the surrounding neighbourhood, but there are two stones of particular note, the most important being an inscription dedicated to the emperor Nero (see RIB 92), which is the earliest dateable Roman stone in Britain, and another dated to the same period, discussed on the page for Fishbourne (rib 91), which lies only 1¼ miles to the west.

RIB 91 - Altar dedicated to Neptune and Minerva

To Neptune and Minerva, for the welfare of the Divine House by the authority of Tiberius Claudius Togidubnus, great king of Britain, the guild of smiths and those therein gave this temple from their own resources, Pudens, son of Pudentinus, presenting the site.


Pro salute domus divinae is a very rare formula; see note to RIB 89.Cogidubnus: see 14 quaedam civitates Cogidumno regi donatae.r(egis) (et) legat(i) Aug(usti) in Brit(annia): on this title, which is characteristic of Claudius’ ‘tendency to mingle innovation with conservatism’ see Collingwood and Myres, Roman Britain and the English Settlements (1936) 86.qui in eo [sun]á¹­ Huebner suggests that this phrase comprises members who joined in meetings of the guild without possessing all its privileges.Waltzing, Corporations iv 267 lists this phrase among those which indicate membership of a guild, but does not suggest that it implies any difference in status: cf. CIL xii 1929 scaenici Asiaticiani et qui in eodem corpore sunt.

Of the other inscribed stones, the majority are presented and translated below.

RIB 92 - Dedication to Nero

For Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus, son of the deified Claudius, grandson of Germanicus Caesar, great-grandson of Tiberius Caesar Augustus, great-great-grandson of the deified Augustus, in his fourth year of tribunician power, four times acclaimed Imperator, consul for the fourth time, by decree of the Senate the vow was deservedly fulfilled.

[...  ]EPOTI TI [...]
[...  ]RONEPOTI DIV[  ...]
[...]N CAESARI AVG [...]

No commentary.

RIB 90 - Altar dedicated to the Genius Loci

Sacred to the Genius (of the place) Lucullus, son of Amminius, set this up from his own resources.


No commentary.

RIB 89 - Dedication to Jupiter Optimus Maximus

To Jupiter, Best and Greatest, in honour of the Divine House ..


The stone was quarried in all probability from the Hythe Beds which outcrop at a point about 19 km. north of Chichester.)In Britain the formula in honorem domus divinae occurs only on an inscription at Old Penrith (RIB 916), but is frequent in the Rhineland. It is still somewhat rare in the late second century, is common in the third, and continues in the fourth. Pro salute domus divinae is very rare, but occurs at Chichester in RIB 91, dated to Claudius’ reign. For variants like pro salute imperatoris totiusque domus divinae see RIB 897 (Old Carlisle), 919 (Old Penrith), (see De Ruggiero, Dizionario s.v. domus divina).

RIB 95 - Funerary inscription for Catia

Catia Censorina, aged 23 (or 24) …


No commentary.

RIB 3037 - Dedication to the Mother Goddesses of Home

To the Mother Goddesses of Home. […]us, Treasurer, (erected this) at his own expense.

[...]V[.] DÍ¡OMÍ¡ESÍ¡T
[5-6]VS ARK
[...] P

The inscription was apparently centred on the V of line 2, more or less, with EST added as an afterthought to line 1. 3 would have been centred on S, just off the surviving fragment. K is a rare letter; for this form, see RIB 882, 883, 2029. The cult of the Matres Domesticae is attested only at Bonn (6 dedications), Mainz (1), and in Britain (RIB 652, 2025, 2050, 3210). At Bonn they are variously identified with the Matronae Aufaniae (CIL xiii 8021, Matribus sive Matronis Aufaniabus domesticis) and distinguished from them (AE 1931, 15, Aufanis et Matribus Domesticis). The dedicator is the first arkarius (arcarius) to be attested in Britain, but his function is unknown. An ark(arius) provinciae Africae is attested at Rome (CIL vi 8575 = ILS 1502), but such an important official in Britain would surely have identified himself more fully, if only as an imperial slave. At Chichester, a tribal capital which boasted a client king and a collegium fabrorum (RIB 91+add.), he might have been either a municipal official (compare ILS Index, III, p. 699), or a domestic retainer (ibid., p. 726), or the treasurer of an association (collegium) of craftsmen or worshippers (ibid., p. 721, with RIB 385+add., attesting an arc[a col(legii)] at Caerleon). In the context of a religious dedication, the last seems most likely.

Classical References to Noviomagus – The New Port

Below the Atrebati and the Canti are the Regni and the town Noeomagus 19*45 53°05.

The Roman name for Chichester is first recorded in Geography of Ptolemy produced in the early-second century. The town is listed twice; the first in the section entitled “a description of the south side below which is the Oceanus Britannicus“, and appears as between the unknown river Alaunus and the mouth of the River Arun in Sussex, which is named the Trisantona by Ptolemy. The second mention occurs in Ptolemy’s list of British tribal towns (vide supra) where the town is named Noeomagus.

The city appears in the Antonine Itinerary as the southern terminus of Iter VII, entitled “the route from Regnus to Londinium; ninety-six thousand paces”. The town is listed twenty miles from the first station on the route. Named Clausentum, this station has been associated with the settlement at Bitterne but could possibly be the Roman name for Wickam, both sites in Hampshire.

The last appearance of the Roman name for Chichester occurs in the Ravenna Cosmology of the late-seventh century. In this document the name Navimago Regentium is listed between the entries for Portus Ardaoni (Portchester, Hampshire) and Leucomagus (East Anton, Hampshire).

Visiting Roman Chichester

Novium Museum & bath house

The Novium Museum is built over the exposed archaeological remains of Chichester’s Roman bath house. The museum has fascinating exhibitions, and is Chichester District’s award-winning museum. The museum is located on Tower Street, which is in the centre of Chichester City. The museum tells the stories of Chichester District and its rich heritage. It holds more than 500,000 artifacts, both on display and in its store. General admission is free, with donations gratefully accepted. Open Tuesday – Friday 10am – 4.30pm, Saturday 10am – 5pm. For more information see

Roman Walls of Roman Chichester

Look out for the well-preserved remnants of the Roman walls built in the 3rd century AD to protect the city from coastal raiders. 

Chichester Cathedral

Visit the 12th century Cathedral, where, in addition to a number of treasures, we see the remains of a Roman mosaic (in situ) which once graced a town building, housed within an illuminated case beneath the floor towards the east end of the south aisle.

Chichester Cross

The 15th century Central Market Cross, marks the intersection of the four principal Roman streets of the city.

Roman Amphitheatre

Like any city of importance Chichester had its amphitheatre. This was situated to the east of the city, just outside the city walls. It was excavated in 1934-5. Sadly all that remains is a depression in the grass.

The Togidubnus Inscription

The inscription RIB91 (see above) can be found built into the west face of the Council Chamber, North Street, Chichester.

References for Noviomagvs Regnorvm / Regentivm

  • The Towns of Roman Britain by John Wacher (2nd Ed., BCA, London, 1995) pp.255-271 & fig.117;
  • The Roman Inscriptions of Britain by R.G. Collingwood and R.P. Wright (Oxford 1965);
  • The Saxon Chronicle – AD 1 to AD 1154 translated by Reverend J. Ingram (1823). 

Roman Roads near Noviomagvs Regnorvm / Regentivm

Probable Coastal Road: E (27) to Brighton (nr. Brighton & Hove, Sussex) W (1.25) to Fishbovrne Stane Street: NE (13) to Hardham (West Sussex) N (13) to Iping (West Sussex) NW (32) to Venta Belgarvm W (4) to Magnvs Portvs (Bosham Harbour, West Sussex) S (7) to Selsey (Selsey Bill, East Sussex)

Sites near Chichester (Noviomagus Reginorum)