Crococalana Settlement was identified by air photographs which show a rectangular defended area measuring about 700 feet from north-east to south-west by about 500 feet transversely (c.213 x 152 m), defined by two widely-spaced ditches on the north west side and a single ditch or bank on the other three, the area enclosed being in the region of 8 acres (c.3.25 ha). Although the enclosure lies athwart the Fosse Way, its main axis is somewhat displaced from that of the road, as if the enclosure were first, the road second. There are crop marks of several pits, floors, ditches and walls within the defended area, and a separate small enclosure about 140 feet (c.43 m) square lying outside the eastern angle, is seemingly associated with a rectangular building of many rooms, about 100 feet (c.30 m) long overall; perhaps an imperial posting station or mansio. (JRS 1953 p.91)
Classical references to Crococalana Settlement
The only record of the Roman name for the Brough settlement is contained within two itinera or road routes in the Antonine Itinerary of the late-second century. The first listing is in Iter VI, “the route from London to Lincoln”, where the penultimate road-station is named Crococalana, 12 miles from the northern terminus of the itinerary at Lindum (Lincoln, Lincolnshire) and 7 miles from Ad Pontem (East Stoke, Nottinghamshire). The second occurrence is in Iter VIII, “the route from York to London”, where the road station Crococalana is again mentioned, this time 14 miles from Lincoln and 14 miles from Margidunum (Castle Hill, Nottinghamshire), which lies a further 7 miles beyond the East Stoke settlement.
References for Crococalana
- Air Reconnaissance of Southern Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xliii (1953) pp.81-97;
- Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001);