Four Roman roads converge on the area around Saxmundham, but traces of them disappear as they approach the coast. It is possible that they were all centred on a single major settlement, but as no traces of such a place have been identified it is more likely that there were several minor settlements served by a network of roads.
One of these settlements was very likely at Saxmundham where three roads apparently converge, another at the crossroads at Peasanhall and another at the mouth of the River Blyth at Walberswick or on the coast near Dunwich.
The projected course of the southernmost road from Combretovium (Baylham House, Suffolk) to the south-west passes just one mile north of substantial Roman buildings at Farnham (TM3758) and a pottery kiln at Blaxhall (TM3757).
Classical References to Saxmundham – Sitomagus
The Sitomago entry from the late second century list of military road routes the Antonine Itinerary, and the Sinomagi entry from an eleventh century copy of a Roman map known as the Peutinger Table may possibly both be identified with one and the same place. This Sitomagus station may have been located in the area of Saxmundham, however, it is more likely that the name is to be associated with the Roman site at Ixworth in Suffolk.
References for Sitomagvs?
- Historical Map and Guide – Roman Britain by the Ordnance Survey (3rd, 4th & 5th eds., 1956, 1994 & 2001); .
Roman Roads near Sitomagvs?
Iter IX?: WSW (21) to Combretovivm (Baylham House, Suffolk) Possible Road: SW (15) to Martlesham (Suffolk) Iter IX?: NNW (29) to Venta Icenorvm (Caistor St. Edmund, Norfolk) WNW (22) to Villa Favstini