Marching or Temporary Camps
Description: Lying just 1½ miles west of the large camp at Muiryfold, the S and W sides of the camp, including the SW corner angle, were recorded from the air in 1949 and investigated on the ground in 1960. This camp may be dated by its Stracathro-type gateways to the campaigns if governor Agricola . There is a similarly sized camp about 14½ miles (23.7km) to the south-east at Ythan Wells.
References for Auchinhove Camp
- Air Reconnaissance of North Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xli (1951) p.65;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.93;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) p.123;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1969-72 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lxiii (1973) pp.226/8;
- Britannia ix (1978) p.278.
Map References for Auchinhove Camp
OS National Grid Reference: NJ463517
Dimensions: c.1,400? x 1,050 ft (c.427? x 320 m)
Area: c.34½ acres? (c.14 ha?)
Roman Roads near Auchinhove Camp