This site, lying 2 miles south-south-east of the Silurian civitas capital at Caerwent, is defined by two ditches, the inner ditch broad, the outer narrow, which define two sides of an apparently rectangular enclosure measuring 175 feet from north-west to south-east by at least 200 feet transversely (c.53 x 61+ m), and thus covers an area of at least ¾-acre (>c.0.3 ha). There appears to be a central building complex here, but its layout and exact function are unknown.
References for Caldicot
- Air Reconnaissance of Southern Britain by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. XLIII (1953) pp.81-97;
Map References for Caldicot
NGRef: ST4832687360 OSMap: LR
Roman Roads near Caldicot