Roundlaw Signal Station
Signal Station and Watch-tower
This watch-tower along with others spaced almost uniformly along the Roman military road into the north-east formed an early Roman frontier along the Gask Ridge in Tayside. The four-posted tower measured about 14 ft. by 12 ft. (4.3 x 3.7 m) and was surrounded by a turf rampart and a circular ditch 50 ft. (14.6 m) in diameter with a ‘Punic’ profile, having an almost vertical outer slope. There was a narrow gateway on the north-west facing the Roman road running along the ridge.
References for Roundlaw
- Topography of Roman Scotland North of the Antonine Wall by O.G.S. Crawford (Cambridge 1949);
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1951-5 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlv (1956) p.87;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1961-1964 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. lv (1965) p.81; D.E.S. 1972 p.33;
- Britannia iv (1973) p.273.
Map References for Roundlaw
NGRef: NN9518 OSMap: LR58