Signal Station (Scarborough)
(d) In the later empire the signal-station undergoes the same architectural development as the castellum. It grows larger and stronger, more massive in construction and more defensible in character. The tower increases in size to 45 or 50 feet square ; its walls are now 8 feet thick at the base, stepped back by offsets to 5 feet ; its height must have increased proportionately to about 100 feet. The palisade round it is replaced by a stone wall enclosing a space about 100 feet square, with a bastion at each corner ; outside this is a ditch, separated from the wall by a wide berm according to the tactical ideas of the age. Examples of this pattern have been identified at various points on the yorkshire coast : at Huntcliffe, Goldsborough, Ravenscar, Scarborough, and Filey. One has been found on the Bristol Channel, on the Exmoor coast. These stations belong to the latter half of the fourth century.” (Collingwood, pp.60/61)
References for Scarborough
- The Archaeology of Roman Britain by R.G. Collingwood (London 1930).
Map References for Scarborough
NGRef: TA0589 OSMap: LR101
Roman Roads near Scarborough
Possible Military Road: NW (9) to Ravenscar (North Yorkshire)