Mynydd Carn-goch Practice Camp 2 (Pen-y-waun)
The Military Practice Works at Pen y Waun – Discovered from the air in 1957 and examined on the ground in 1960, these two camps lie close together at Pen-y-Waun on Mynydd Carn-goch (‘Red Cairn Mountain’). The easternmost camp measures 99 feet by 97 feet over the rampart crests (c.30.2 x 29.6 m), enclosing an area of just under ¼-acre (c.0.09 ha); there is a single gateway with internal clavicula in the centre of the south side. The western camp is the smaller, measuring 87 feet (c.26.5 m) square and covering an area of 0.17 acres (c.0.07 ha), and is equipped with internal clavicula gateways in the centre of each side. There is another, similar work about 1 mile (1.62 km) to the west on Stafford Common.
References for Pen-y-waun
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1955-7 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. xlviii (1958) p.97;
- Air Reconnaissance in Britain, 1958-1960 by J.K. St. Joseph in J.R.S. li (1961) pp.126/7;
Map References for Pen-y-waun
NGRef: SS607972 OSMap: LR159
Roman Roads near Pen-y-waun